Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bascetti For Brains

Why can't people spell basic words anymore?  I guess I should preface this post by saying that I'm no scholar, and I make my fair share of grammatical errors from time to time. Maybe I was in a hurry and hit "enter" without proofreading, and there was a letter or two that was misplaced or left out. My problem is with these mouth breathers that INTENTIONALLY misspell words, or replace words with numbers.  Here's a newsflash for you: when you type things like "wut" or "dis and dat"...or replace the words "to" or "too" with the number 2, it doesn't make you sound cool.  In fact, it makes you look like the uneducated fucking idiot that you are. 

For the life of me, I can't figure out why today's society has set the precedent that sounding stupid is much better than sounding educated.  So where did all the grammatical idiocy stem from?  We are in the cell phone age where most people use text messaging as a primary form of communication. It's quick and easy, just the way we Americans like it.  But why can't we still text and post to facebook and twitter, all the while still spelling BASIC short words correctly?  And let's get that straight...these are the most basic of words.  You don't have to be college educated to be able to correctly spell "what" and "to".  You should be able to get those right with a third grade public education.  So is speed the argument?  Are you spelling words that way to save time?  How much time are you really saving by replacing the word "to" with "2"?  It's one less character for fuck's sake. 

I'm still of the opinion that Idiocracy is in full force.  Each generation seems to be getting dumber and dumber.  What's worse yet, American society is embracing the stupidity, and promoting it as being a great thing.  Hell, you see it in just about every reality show.  I am truly scared for the future of this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment